Sunday, October 13, 2013

Observation 1.5

Waxing Crescent

The brightest star to the left of the Moon is the planet Venus



Date: October 7, 2013
Time: 8:22-8:33

Observations: The Moon outside today was a waxing crescent and it was quite bright today. The blurriness of some of the pictures shows that there was a light haze in the sky and I noticed that my camera picked up enough light to outline the whole moon as well. Looking to the left of the Moon I saw a really bright star which turned out to be the planet Venus. This is actually the first time I was able to identify Venus even though I probably saw it every night. I also took some pictures of the sky directly above me, however I wasn't able to identify any of them...I really need to work on my constellation skills. The night was very cool and I could see that the Moon was very close to the horizon, about 3 fists (15 degrees) above it. Also I am still noticing the constellation Orion in the morning sky as it is slowly moving more and more westward.

No comments:

Post a Comment