Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Observation 1.1

The Sun's light reflecting on the Moon shows its craters on the ragged line that separates the light and dark.

The brightest star to the right is Venus and the star in between the Moon and Venus is Saturn. 

Its amazing how clear the craters and the colors of the Moon are.
This is just the East side of the Moon.
Observations:
Where: North Port, Florida
When: 9:20-9:45

With the exception of a slight layer of fog, the sky was finally clear. I could clearly see the waxing crescent in the sky, which was 3 fists (15 degrees) up from the horizon. The sky was absolutely gorgeous; there were stars everywhere. When I first went outside and when I saw the Moon, I could see the whole outline of the Moon, which you can see in the first picture. Around this time, the Moon was closer to many of the houses whose lights were on so there was a little haziness. After taking a picture of the Moon again, I zoomed up the photo and I was able to see the craters and the Moon spot which I thought was really amazing. I saw this very bright star south west of the Moon and it actually had a sparkle which indicated that the star was Venus and not far from it was Saturn. However, after a couple of minutes, Venus disappears and Saturn began to get hazy from being so close to the lights of the houses. Even with the numerous mosquito bites, I felt that this was a great experience and a nice way to relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment